Principal photography has wrapped on Stargate Origins and to celebrate, MGM has released a new behind-the-scenes featurette that shows off a bit of what to expect when the show debuts next year on the studio’s dedicated streaming service for the franchise, Stargate Command.
Directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan, the show will serve as a prequel to the 1994 film Stargate and the 1997 TV show Stargate SG-1, which kicked off the larger television franchise. It will follow Catherine Langford, the daughter of the explorer who discovered the titular alien device in Egypt, and who would go on to play a small, but important role in both film and television series.
Australian actress Ellie Gall stars as a young Catherine Langford – the daughter of Professor Langford (Connor Trinneer) – as she embarks on “an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness” in pre-World War II Egypt. There’s even a hint of Indiana Jones to it.
In the established canon, she was a young girl when the Stargate was first discovered on the Giza Plateau. Speaking to Stargate Command, Gall described how much the part meant to her. “The opportunity to portray this iconic character is once in a lifetime,” she said, “I’m thrilled to be a part of the Stargate family and I hope Stargate fans are as equally excited as I am about Catherine Langford’s new adventure.”
Stargate Origins will be available on MGM’s own streaming service, Stargate Command and take the form of a digital series. An ‘All-Access’ pass will need to be purchased in order to watch the series. For $20, you will get…
• first access to Stargate Origins and unlock exclusive content, with an inside view into the production of the new series
• be able to stream the ultimate Stargate library including SG-1, Atlantis, Universe and all 3 movies
• stream Stargate Origins before anyone else
• get behind-the-scenes access to Stargate Origins from the writers’ room to the production to the premiere
• receive an authenticated, members only digital edition of the Stargate Origins pilot script
Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry are writing the show, consisting of 10 episodes with each one lasting about approximately 10 minutes.
The studio initially said that the show would debut in 2017, but that seems to have been nudged back to sometime early next year.
• Stargate Origins teaser offers first look behind the scenes
• Stargate: Origins cast announced
• Apparently, Stargate is getting rebooted
• Enrico Colantoni And Amanda Tapping Join Travelers Season 2