Directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan, the show will serve as a prequel to the 1994 film Stargate and the 1997 TV show Stargate SG-1, which kicked off the larger television franchise. It will follow Catherine Langford, the daughter of the explorer who discovered the titular alien device in Egypt, and who would go on to play a small, but important role in both film and television series.
Australian actress Ellie Gall stars as a young Catherine Langford – the daughter of Professor Langford (Connor Trinneer) – as she embarks on “an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness” in pre-World War II Egypt. There’s even a hint of Indiana Jones to it.
In the established canon, she was a young girl when the Stargate was first discovered on the Giza Plateau. However, from the trailer, it looks like they work out the address to Abydos and even visit, which runs a risk of violating Stargate canon. Aside from the Ernest Littlefield incident, which was in Stargate SG1 “The Torment of Tantalus” (season 1, episode 11), the first time was activated was when Colonel O’Neil and Dr. Jackson went through in the movie.
But as you can see, they appear to actually activate the stargate. We will know how serious MGM is with canon if we see them go anywhere other than Abydos. A time reset can change some things, but thousands of years of stellar drift? Not so sure.
It’s really a matter of relative value of the product, but when something is being made that is directly inspired by a very well regarded original (Stargate SG1 more so than the film in this instance) it really feels like a disrespectful move to change the original just because it suits the studio more.
Alternatively, it’s possible this web series is a straight-up reboot. MGM was ready to throw out the whole SG1/Atlantis/Universe continuity to let Roland Emmerich reboot the franchise just a few years ago.
Stargate Origins will be available on MGM’s own streaming service, Stargate Command and take the form of a digital series. An ‘All-Access’ pass will need to be purchased in order to watch the series. For $20, you will get…
• first access to Stargate Origins and unlock exclusive content, with an inside view into the production of the new series
• be able to stream the ultimate Stargate library including SG-1, Atlantis, Universe and all 3 movies
• stream Stargate Origins before anyone else
• get behind-the-scenes access to Stargate Origins from the writers’ room to the production to the premiere
• receive an authenticated, members only digital edition of the Stargate Origins pilot script
Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry are writing the show, consisting of 10 episodes with each one lasting about approximately 10 minutes.
• Stargate: Origins trailer and release date
• Stargate Origins wraps with new behind-the-scenes featurette
• Stargate Origins teaser offers first look behind the scenes
• Stargate: Origins cast announced
• Apparently, Stargate is getting rebooted