The second season of Star Trek: Discovery beams onto Netflix in the UK this Friday.
Not only are there story lines we’d like to see more of, but we also saw some Trek canon stretched almost to breaking point and consequently some questions were raised. So here’s a list of all of our hopes and dreams as well as our concerns and issues we’d like to addressed…
• Would love to see a lot of the classic Constitution Class starship and her lovely lines, but don’t want this to become TOS 2.0.
• Please, please, please don’t let the USS Discovery do that horrible fidget spinner thing…also, never – ever – mention “black alert” ever again.
• At the beginning of The Cage – which formed the very first pilot of Star Trek: The Original Series in 1966 and was later reused for the two-parter The Menagerie (S01, E11 & 12) – Pike is seriously contemplating quitting Starfleet and blaming himself for the deaths of some crewmen. And all that happened in 2254, two years before these events now, taking place in Star Trek: Discovery. Will Anson Mount’s Captain Pike make any reference to these events?
• Having now met two of Sarek’s (James Frain) children, will we see Sybok, his eldest..?
• In 2257 – the year that season two is set – the USS Farragut suffered heavy casualties while on deep space assignment to Tycho IV, a formative part of the first deep space assignment of one Lt James T Kirk. It’s highly unlikely, but a reference could be made – but we definitely don’t want to see Kirk.
• Will Tyler (Shazad Latif) build on his relationship with Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green)? If so, will she mind that while Tyler was Voq, he happily ate the corpse of Captain Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh)..?
• Will anyone on the USS Discovery, or the USS Enterprise for that matter, drop a totally unnecessary f-bomb?
• Will Vulcans still be able to mind-message across subspace?
• At one point in the first season, 21 producers were listed in the opening credits. Are that many really needed to make Star Trek: Discovery?
• Will Saru’s (Doug Jones) threat ganglia actually do anything in season two – they seemed to be asleep for at least half of season one.
• Will we get to find out what happened to Prime Universe Lorca? What about poor Dr Culber (Wilson Cruz)..?!
• What was that green spore that landed on Tilly (Mary Wiseman)..? (S01, E13 What’s Past is Prologue)
• The USS Discovery has holodeck technology (S01, E06 Lethe)…so that might cause a hiccup in technological history…
• The “displacement activated spore hub drive” or DASH drive, or just spore drive as most call it now never appears ever again in Trek history. So it would be nice to find out why.
• Will there be any reference to the events that unfolded in the Star Trek: Short Treks..?
…think that just about does it.
The second season of Star Trek: Discovery will consist of 14 episodes with no mid-season break. It will premiere on Thursday, January 17, 2019 in the US and Canada, and it will be released in the rest of the world on Friday, January 18, 2019.
Scott Snowden is MyM’s US Editor. Follow him on Twitter.
• Patrick Stewart to return to Star Trek as Picard in new series for CBS
• Star Trek TV universe set to be dramatically expanded by CBS
• Star Trek: Discovery, sudden change in showrunners, again
• Star Trek: Discovery, a few words with Alan van Sprang, Agent Leland from Section 31
• Star Trek: Discovery – all episode reviews